Monday, May 20, 2013

Make Your Own (Cheap) Ice Packs!

Who knew that making an icepack could be so easy and so cheap? I think these ice packs cost me about $.10 a piece! It only takes about 5 minutes to make.

You Will Need
Rubbing Alcohol
Water
Sandwich Bags
* Food Coloring (optional)
* Clear Box Tape (optional)

Step 1: Grab two sandwich bags and set one aside. Open up your first bag. and hold it open over your sink.

Step 2: The ratio is 1 part rubbing alcohol to 2 parts water, so for my ice packs I put in 1/2 water and 1/4 of rubbing alcohol. If you are using a bigger bag just increase it using the ratio above.

Step 3: Then add a little food coloring. I used green but you can get as fun as you'd like with the colors or skip them all together.

Step 4: Seal your first bag and place it in your second bag backwards. OPTIONAL: Before placing my inner bag I added some clear packing tape to the seal. You don't have to do this; I'm just the paranoid type :)

Step 5: Put it in your freezer laying flat overnight.

That's it! TIP: You can change the consistency of your ice pack by altering the ratio of alcohol and water. The more water you have in your ratio the harder the pack become so the more alcohol you add the softer because the alcohol prevents the water from freezer into hard ice. The ratio above is what worked well for me because it was cold and icy but still squishy :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review